Saturday, December 5, 2020

Day 5 - I am Grateful For Doing the Dishes

Somewhere along the way I picked up a scrub brush and started doing dishes at an early age. I never saw it as a chore, but something to do to help out. Growing up all the women would cook and clean as the men drank beer in the living room having discussions about politics, wood, beer, work, jokes and other random dumbshit. I was the only male who never wanted to just sit down. I tried helping out, I did. I would try to set the table, but my grandmother would tell me to go to the living room and wait for dinner. After dinner the men would stumble into the living room once again farting and complaining how full they were. I would sneak into the kitchen and try to clean dishes, but as soon as my grandmother would see me she would point her finger to the livingroom and then say, "I'll paddle your ass if you don't get out of here." See but she didn't have an issue if I was mowing the lawn or raking their leaves up. I was not allowed in the kitchen during family get togethers.
I found myself doing more dishes on my own. It may sound silly, but if it helps someone out then I'm all for it. Dishes led to opening doors for others, returning shopping carts to their corral and remembering to say thank you. Again, it might sound silly, but it worked for me. My niceness has never gotten me anywhere with the ladies, but maybe someday they will appreciate me opening the car door for them. I'm not going to change anytime soon. I am grateful for making myself helpful, even if I'm not helping myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment