Saturday, August 28, 2010

13 Nights of Praying - Night 10.0

Imagining growing up differently.

In my Garbage Pail trading card years, I was a curious kid. I would search in restricted airport private property desert areas for golf balls. I usually did this with my buddies. We would ride our bikes to the fenced off areas and see a shit load of golf balls calling out our names just on the other side of a barbwire fence. They were just old golf balls, but the stories we made of how the golf balls got there were pretty amazing now that I think of it. Ok, we were 9. (I will share them later). So, like I said I was curious, always wanting to see beyond what I couldn't see.
           When I was six, the year I can hardly remember. I was sitting bitch in my grandpas old 1973, 4 ,8,2 Ford truck. It was a stick and it had a camper shell on it. My grandpas two nephews tagged along too. I remember driving on a bumpy ass dirt road, my favorite shorts wore the 7up for most of that ride. I was short and could hardly see over the dashboard(years later my friends would wrap up phone books for my 16th birthday). So I always saw my grandpa shifting. He stopped at a fork in the road. There were two almost identical bumpy dirt roads. The nephews wanted to go left, my papa turns to me and says which way do you wanna go? I place my chin on the dashboard. Not to be difficult, but to be noticed and to feel the power of taking charge at this very moment. I point right. Both front wheels turn right, and the next thing I remember is waking up in a hospital. All off my limbs strapped to the bed, my speech was gone, and about forty people hoovered around my bed. I was a curious kid. I wouldn't want anything different in my life now, it is what it is. Although if I had to imagine one event differently, I would of slept on the dirt road, maybe agreed with the nephews, I don't know. I, don't know. It's an image tattooed in my mind.
           My Mother and I were walking out of  Mc Mann's furniture store in Reno. Its not really the best way to spend a Saturday during a school year. Getting yelled at for jumping on new beds and touching everything in sight. Well I eventually pissed my mother off and we left. As we were coming out she told be I wasn't going to get a cherry Slurpee. No fucking way I said to myself, just not in those words. So my once "yes we are leaving the store" smile, quickly turned into a fierce revenge face. I drug my whole body along the side of McManns. Until I reached some kind of pipe draining system, a storm drain about  four feet high off the ground. It was gold and shinny. All that went though my mind was buried treasure or cash has to be up there. With my mom walking ahead of me I rolled my sleeve up and jammed my whole arm up there. A few things happen just then;
A) There was no treasure up there
and
B) My arm was stuck, and I mean stuck stuck!!!
My mother freaked out and went back inside to McManns to call the fire dept. So when she came back out, not only were there a few more folks with her, she brought; the store manager, the old guy security guard, a few families, and a dude with a pillow. I tried to sit on the pillow. The conversations went something like this.........

What made you stick your hand up there?
I thought there was gold.
What?
I was looking for treasure.
So, you stuck your hand up there?
Ummmmm I have to go to the bathroom.
But your arm is stuck
I know, I know

I realize how stupid people can be sometimes. I heard the sirens from the fire truck. This made me smile cause I always wanted to drive one. Sadly though a siren causes many more stupid gockers to stare and ask really dumb questions.............

Can't you just pull your arm out?
No (I think the tears of panic started in)
What do you feel up there?
The inside of this pipe.

Now the News people decide to show up and ask me more question on TV as I piss my pants with my arm up a pipe.

I just wanted a cherry Slurpee!!!

I was free four hours later.

Gnight
The Careless Mind

No comments:

Post a Comment