Monday, September 6, 2010

A Break in the Action

My old roommate and friend Mr. JP a true Miami Dolphins fan. Him and I used to live in the ghetto or the heart of Sparks, NV. We were in a small two bedroom apartment. The swamp box was and is still located behind a Kmart. Between the Kmart and our rat trap was an alley loading dock area. A normal trashy area for truckers to unload future Blue Light specials. However after the sun went down a bright yellow safety light would shine in the alley. This would draw a shitload of hooligan bugs near. The kind of bugs that wore their pants around their knees. The kind who made up words and never completed a full sentence.

"Jah, wudup fool"
"Me and skee gots you"
"Hunk down"
Man, that boy, shiiiit"
*bang* *bang*

At this point I would move my bed from away from the wall. Although I would still peak outside through the venetian blinds from time to time. Scuzz and utter discuss was all that went through my head. Unstructured conversation, gun pops, and the occasional fist fights were never really mentioned in the brochure. Also not the in the brochure to this armpit apartment was a little Hispanic boys named George. This little afro charmer does not knock on the door. He bursts right in, hanging on to the door knob and wall. His giant head of hair and his goofy smile.

"Jew got any popsicles", as he sway back and forth.

This poor little boy said "Jew" instead of "You".  Although we were warned every time he came by, as his afro poof was only thing bouncing pass the dinning room window. I made the mistake of actually buying popsicles one time. I had this cheap big ass bag of popsicles chilling out in the freezer. One day the bobbing hair went by the window, and two seconds later.

"Jew got....
"In the freezer"

I sat on the couch. George grabbed a chair, scooted it over to the freezer (old fridge, freezer on top), and mind you his goofy ass grin was huge at this point. I realized sometime later he just had really big teeth. He climbed on my chair with his shoes on and tried to open the freezer door. The door to the freezer stuck a lot due to an exploding Pepsi can. So I am a fan of kids doing stupid things. This was a moment I can replay in my mind for life. George gripping the freezer door attempting to yank it open. His tongue dangling out from between his teeth and the small grunts between each yanking attempt. Mind you this next set of actions happen all within five seconds.
The freezer door flies open.
The handle George was once gripping swings into his forehead at ludicrous speed.
George falls back on the chair.
The chair falls back.
This happens so fast George has no time to stop smiling.
The back of the chair crashes into a few pieces as it hits the kitchen floor.
The freezer door swings slowly back and forth.
George lays on the ground for a second looking up.

"Jew ok", I asked him. Of course I was laughing my ass off.
"Yeah, stupid chair broke."

2 comments: